Same Day Dentistry – Too Good to Be True?
In a world of same-day shipping and same day photo prints, your dental restorations can now be same day services too! This is thanks to CEREC® milling machines and digital imaging technology. CEREC is short for “ceramic reconstruction”. This technology has been around since the early 1980s and it’s only gotten better with time, for both dentists and patients.
CEREC machines use CAD/CAM technology–computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing. They allow your Miami dentist to make and install a dental crown–and other restorations–all in the same visit. This is very good news if you have a chipped tooth or a very bad cavity that needs to be treated immediately.
Benefits for Patients
The main benefits of CEREC same-day dentistry include:
- Faster service with fewer appointments
- Fewer injections for numbing the area
- No messy impressions with digital technology
- No temporary crown or waiting period
- Accurate, detailed, biocompatible molds
Using a CEREC machine allows your dentist to do all of the dental restoration work in the same office, on the same day. As much as we like you and enjoy spending time with you, we know you have other places to be. Your teeth have important work to do all day long and it’s hard to be without any of them if they are cracked or severely decayed. We want to see your smile returned to full health and beauty as soon as you need it – today!
Anyone who has played the game Telephone knows what it means for something to be “lost in translation.” Sometimes this happens when dental offices need crowns to be made in an offsite laboratory where they send impressions. By keeping the whole process in-house, CEREC technology increases your chance of getting the perfect crown the very first time.
If you’re interested in holistic dentistry, CEREC can also help you get a more biocompatible crown. This means the dental piece will work as smoothly as possible within the whole system of your mouth and body.
CEREC® Crown vs. Traditional Laboratory Crown
Almost any smile restoration you need can be completed or aided with the help of CEREC. So how does it work exactly? Let’s first look at the traditional way dental crowns get made.
Traditionally, to install a crown, the dentist will:
- Clean the tooth and prepare it for a crown
- Take impressions of the tooth using trays
- Pour liquid stone in the trays to create a unique tooth mold
- Send the mold to an off-site lab
- Fit you with a temporary crown to wear for the next few weeks
- A lab tech then creates the crown by using layers of dental porcelain on the mold
- The crown goes through a firing finishing process
- The crown is sent back to the dentist office for installation
- The temporary is removed, and the final crown is fitted
The whole process takes weeks and at least two separate visits for patients.
With CEREC, the dentist is able to take very accurate scans and photos of the tooth, and create and place the crown on the same day:
- Your tooth still gets cleaned and prepared
- Using a very light layer of reflective dust on your tooth, and a scanning wand picking up the reflections, the dentist gets a digital picture of your tooth and all its surfaces
- The scan creates a perfect 3D digital model
- The digital model helps the dentist be sure the tooth is properly prepared, as well as creates a mold for the crown
- The milling machine then carves the crown out of a block of ceramic in about five minutes
- The dentist can be sure the crown perfectly fits your tooth right there
- The crown is glazed and finished
- The crown is installed, restoring your tooth’s natural appearance and function the same day
What Can CEREC Do For You?
CEREC can create perfect models of your teeth for crowns, veneers, fillings, and bridges.
If you have any need for restorative dentistry in Miami, call us to make an appointment today!
The content of this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.
About Ramon Bana, DDS
Dr. Bana’s patients describe him as down-to-earth, professional and full of heart. He is talented and strives to make each patient leave the office feeling better than when they arrived. Patient comfort is his top priority, and patients say they feel like extended family. He is dedicated to his practice, patients and team – and it shows. Dr. Bana loves coming to work because his work changes people for the better. Patients leave his care healthier, happier and with brighter smiles.