Good, Clean, Wholesome Family Dentistry
You love your teeth. You brush them twice a day, floss once a day, and see your dentist regularly. Right? We love your teeth, too! In fact, there’s so much to know about caring for your oral health that dentistry has quite a few categories of specialties and different kinds of dentists.
The primary dentist in your life should be your family dentist, also known as a general dentist. Your family dentist is who you will see most often for dental check-ups. But how exactly is family dentistry different from other kinds of dentistry? Dr. Ramon Bana in Miami shares more below about family dentistry.
Types of Dentistry
All dentists have an undergraduate degree and then go on to about four years of dental school. This earns them either a doctorate of dental medicine (DMD) or a doctorate of dental surgery (DDS). To become more specialized, the dentist will need additional education and clinical experience.
- General Dentist: A family dentist is a general dentist. They treat patients of all ages and offer a broad range of services from fillings to screening for oral cancer.
- Endodontist: They focus on the soft, inner layers of the teeth. Tooth pain, infections, and root canals are their primary focus.
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon: Specialized in emergency dentistry, the anatomy of the mouth, and anesthesia in case you ever need oral surgery.
- Orthodontist: They improve your smile for both looks and function with teeth straightening techniques and orthodontics.
- Periodontist: Treats gum disease and promotes gum health. They sometimes perform surgery and can install dental implants.
- Oral Pathologist: Can diagnose and treat any disease in the teeth, lips, cheeks, and jaws by analyzing pathology and bacteria.
Family Dentistry is Preventive Care
Seeing your dentist regularly is just as important as seeing your primary care doctor regularly. A family dentist will have an ongoing relationship with you and every member of your family to help keep you healthy and navigate any potential oral health concerns.
The benefits of seeing a family dentist are many! Here are just a few:
- Convenience: Family dentists have regular office hours and can treat your whole family in one day. Whether you do all of the appointments at once or each in a row, you only have to make one trip.
- Long-term Relationship: The better your dentist knows you and your health history the better they can serve you. Your relationship with your family dentist will only improve with time.
- Preventive Care & Comprehensive Treatment: Family dentists treat people of all ages and do everything from cleanings and cancer screenings to addressing sleep issues, preventing diseases, and consulting for orthodontics.
- Prevent Disease: Regular cleanings and check-ups with a family dentist help prevent any future problems by keeping gum disease and decay at bay.
- Community: Everyone can see the family dentist! From your kids to your sister and your mom to your mail carrier and babysitter. Family dentists are a part of everyday community life and wellness.
If you’re looking for a family dentist or preventive dental care in Miami, make an appointment with Miami Sedation and Cosmetic Dentistry today. Bring the whole family!
The content of this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.
About Ramon Bana, DDS
Dr. Bana’s patients describe him as down-to-earth, professional and full of heart. He is talented and strives to make each patient leave the office feeling better than when they arrived. Patient comfort is his top priority, and patients say they feel like extended family. He is dedicated to his practice, patients and team – and it shows. Dr. Bana loves coming to work because his work changes people for the better. Patients leave his care healthier, happier and with brighter smiles.