Cone Beam-What? Translation: Better Dental Experiences
Dr. Ramon Bana, your trusted Miami dentist, is passionate about finding ways to improve the patient experience and achieve lasting results when it comes to the health and appearance of your smile. This requires continuous learning and investing in the types of advanced technologies that will stand the test of time—because keeping up with trends can be exciting, but optimal oral wellness and the overall health it contributes to will always be in style.
So, without further ado, we’d love to introduce you to one of our favorites—the Cone Beam Computed Tomography Scan, Cone Beam CT for short (and CBCT for shortest). What the heck is the CBCT? Oh, just a piece of equipment that has revolutionized dental treatment!
Does this Machine Possess Magical Powers?
While CBCT scans do provide superb detail to a point that could make it seem we have the gift of prescience, a great deal of thanks is owed to scientific progress. We think our patients will appreciate the many benefits of CBCT scans. Wondering what those benefits are? Miami Sedation & Cosmetic Dentistry is glad you asked!
- Cone beam CT scans are non-invasive, painless, and eliminate the need for messy impressions
- In about 15 seconds, Dr. Bana will obtain a panoramic view of your head, neck, and jaw
- Reduced radiation exposure compared to traditional x-rays
- Higher resolution 3D images allow for precise treatment planning
The speed and ease with which scanned images are obtained might lead you to believe we’re not getting a full picture, but Dr. Bana will be able to show you everything they see with great clarity.
Do I Need a Cone Beam Scan?
If we were only interested in what we could see with traditional x-rays and our own eyesight, the answer would be no. However, when we can’t see what Cone Beam CT scans can, diagnostics may be delayed. In some cases, this means not catching something until it’s visible to the naked eye, which may also mean you’re experiencing symptoms that worry you. Even traditional x-rays might not show us tumors in the bone that can be seen on cone-beam CT scans.
What else do CBCT scans help with?
- Treatment planning – dental implant placement, tooth extractions, reconstructive and even cosmetic procedures can be precisely planned with the 3D, panoramic images CBCT scans provide
- Differentiation between types of tissue – bone, nerves, soft tissue, and teeth are seen more clearly in CBCT scans
- TMJ diagnosis – we can more accurately determine the severity of temporomandibular joint disorders
- Locating pain at its source – we can eliminate the guesswork of what’s causing tooth, mouth, and/or jaw pain, then get to work solving the problem
Elevating Standards & Improving Experiences
When we discuss the advantages of CBCT scanning, the fact that oral health extends beyond the mouth is much easier to see instead of remaining an abstract concept—and the visual proof helps drive this point home, too!
Your Miami dental team believes in treating people, not just their teeth. We take great pride in making the dentist’s office a warm, comfortable place to be, and find fulfillment in increasing your oral wellness and smile confidence.
The implementation of CBCT scans help us accomplish these goals, and we’d love to help you accomplish yours—contact us today to schedule an appointment!
The content of this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.
About Ramon Bana, DDS
Dr. Bana’s patients describe him as down-to-earth, professional and full of heart. He is talented and strives to make each patient leave the office feeling better than when they arrived. Patient comfort is his top priority, and patients say they feel like extended family. He is dedicated to his practice, patients and team – and it shows. Dr. Bana loves coming to work because his work changes people for the better. Patients leave his care healthier, happier and with brighter smiles.